Zurich - more October activities

I covered October 23-25 on my last post; Wednesday through Friday (October 26-28) were less-epic days. 

My friends were healthy so I met up with them Wednesday morning, talking a lovely walk near their house. Our walk included passing the area where people are assigned garden plots - which they fully trick out with sheds, grills, and seating areas, making it personal outdoor space where they really spend time.


Wednesday afternoon I went into Zurich and to the art museum, and just poked around in the sunshine. One fun thing I learned about Zurich is that it famously has fountains all over the place - and many of them are wildly artistic and creative! This was my favorite - I’d spotted it Sunday and went back to get a picture  



Thursday I said farewell to my amazing volunteer hosts, and moved in with my friends. I walked around with Toni in the morning while she talked about living in Switzerland as a non-native and parent to kids growing up in the Swiss system. It was fascinating!

That afternoon we did a short (90-minute?) road trip to see famous waterfalls (Rhine Falls/Rheinfall) and a nearby castle (Hohenklingen Castle) before stopping into the cute little town, Stein am Rhein.








It was such a nice afternoon out and so fun to be with my friend and one of her kids. 

Friday was another lovely day hanging out with Toni. We went on a very local adventure: drove to the bottom of a nearby peak (Felsenegg), rode the cable car to the top, and got a delicious lunch of traditional Swiss food. I got raclette (a puddle of melted cheese with potatoes and pickles) and Toni got rösti (shredded potatoes with melted cheese). 





After that we needed a walk!! 

Trails/walks in Switzerland and very clearly sign-posted with distances and estimated walking time, which makes it easy to take a little wander. 

A local had a box of local jams out you could purchase, but I was so full from lunch I wasn’t tempted. 


Whew! Just the weekend left before we move on to Italy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July = Family time

Elephant visit

Two weeks of not so much!