Nov 6-8: Sorrento … kinda

I left Rome midday Sunday the 6th and made my way to Naples (almost 3 hours by train), then hopped immediately on a local train to Sorrento, at the end of the Sorrento Peninsula (Amalfi is the most famous town on the peninsula; it’s on the south side and Sorrento is on the north side). That local train took another hour or so - so the day was pretty much consumed by travel. 



The train ride from Naples to Sorrento was spectacular, but the most interesting part was seeing Mount Vesuvius, and the very familiar blown-out shape of the volcano, which was strongly reminiscent of our own Mount Saint Helens. 

I didn’t get to see a lot of Sorrento. On Sunday night when I arrived I walked around a little, checked into my small inn, and then walked across the street to the very lovely restaurant for one of the few nice sit-down dinners that I had in Italy. 





The food was so good, and it was fun to watch the people and what they ordered.

Monday I spent the whole day at Pompeii (which will get its own post), returning to Sorrento in time to pick up a covid test (it was just a cold) and get some gelato; Tuesday I left town to begin my journeys north. 


Happy to be negative. 

My impression of Sorrento is that it’s a lovely town with a delightful Mediterranean climate - I saw lemon trees absolutely everywhere and enjoyed the one glass of limoncello that I bought. I would certainly go back to that region. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July = Family time

Elephant visit

Two weeks of not so much!