Nov 15-20: Delft

I chose Delft because a) it was less expensive than Amsterdam, b) a friend recommended it, c) a person in the Rome hostel also had a good impression. I found an airbnb that was a one-bedroom apartment and decided that after 7 weeks of travel, I was ready for some nesting. As it turned out, the weather became a bit rainy, and I was super happy to be able to curl up on a couch, make soup, and read a book or watch a show. 

My apartment was just outside the historic downtown.

Groceries! I especially liked the bags of soup.

I did get out and explore Delft, as well. It’s exactly what a tourist would want - canals, bridges, old buildings, charming vistas - without all the heavy tourism in Amsterdam. 







After somehow not climbing up in any church towers on this trip, I finally did in Delft - I bought a ticket to climb up the tower of the New Church. It was … stressful and challenging. The stairway was quite narrow, had 356 steps with only 3 places to exit the stairwell, and was subject to two-way traffic!!! I only had to accommodate a set of downward-climbers once, but .. yikes. I was glad to get the view, and glad to be done. 

The entry.

This is where 4 people passed me as I clung to the center pole.



Sheer terror combined with grit.



Overall, Delft was the perfect way to end my trip - a slightly slower place, staying in the same bed for several nights in a row, and I lucked into a decent mix of gray and blue skies, with only one truly rainy day. I honestly felt like I could’ve kept traveling, especially after that respite, but I was also happy to be heading home - and grateful for Past Me for booking a direct flight! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July = Family time

Elephant visit

Two weeks of not so much!