Oct 12-15: Kenya beach

To wrap up our safari, our travel planner recommended we spend a few nights at a beach in Kenya. In all my ignorance about Africa, I hadn’t realized that beach vacations were an option! 










The place we ended up going was located on an island on the southern Kenya coast, called Chale. We arrived at high tide and took a small motorboat over; when we left it was low tide and we rode in a cart pulled by a tractor across the sandy expanse!

The time there was good but three nights was all we needed as there wasn’t a ton to do aside from swim and relax. I hopped in the Indian Ocean the first day and it was warm enough to go all the way in and swim. The second day I went out on a snorkeling boat tour, and the last day we hung out in a shady spot by the pool until it was time to go. It was pretty clearly some kind of shoulder season, as the place didn’t feel full at all. 

Even though this was a fairly fancy place, and even though it was pretty hot, we didn’t have power in our cabanas from 10am-5pm, so you couldn’t keep your room cool or take a nice nap in the afternoon. I guess that’s more reality of life in Africa! 

All in all I was glad for a relaxing change of scene for our last little bit of time as a threesome. From here we went back to Nairobi for a last dinner, and my friends flew out at 11pm Saturday. I had a hotel room for a whopping 4 hours of sleep before my wake up call. 

Next stop: Dakar, Senegal, after 11 hours of flying & 2 layovers! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July = Family time

Elephant visit

Two weeks of not so much!