Second & third camping trips!

What a study in contrasts! I camped in Lassen Volcanic National Park, which was greatly impacted by the Dixie Fires last year. Then I shifted to the coast and the dense, lush redwood forest. 



A friend asked what I DO when I camp solo? Good question, since camp trips are typically about hanging out with others. My pattern for two-night stays has been: arrive late afternoon, get settled, poke around, eat dinner, read, sleep. Spend the next day on an activity - hike or paddle - plus meals and a book or two. Final day is just pack & go!




Books-wise, my book group is reading The Ministry for the Future, near-term climate change sci-fi. After driving through burned-out landscapes it felt rather too close to home, so I’ll come back to that one. Instead I spent a delightful day reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - so fun! 

I’m happy to report I did paddle around Butte Lake - it’s not so huge but it was neat to paddle right along an ancient volcano flow (I’m a bit vague on the details here..).

Now I’m working my way up the Oregon coast. I actually abandoned my two-nights-per campground plan yesterday - there wasn’t much to do in camp and I didn’t want to have a massive drive day, and I preferred to get home Friday. So I left the redwoods a day early and got a semi-cheap motel in small town Oregon.



One more day of coastal views and highway driving and I’ll sleep in my own bed tonight! It’s been a very full 11 days!


Comments

  1. Sounds delightful! And I’m so glad you enjoyed Eleanor Oliphant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing experience Beth! I can't wait to go to Lassen!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^^ This comment is me. I am not anonymous. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

July = Family time

Elephant visit

Making plans - technology flavor