Making plans - TRAVEL flavor!

Here's what everyone asks about ... so what will I be DOING in the next chunk of time?


First - road trip in Oregon and Northern California. I'll camp & bring my inflatable kayak. I'm going to 

  • Clear Lake Resort - where "resort" is used very very lightly. I have a cabin for two nights, it's basically four walls, a bed with a curtain around it, and a futon for guests. But the waters are famously cold and clear, so it should be great for paddling on. 
  • Oregon Shakespeare Festival - I've gone every year since 2007 (not counting pandemic years, of course), and meet with friends from Portland and the Bay Area there. We'll go to dinner, see plays, and have a picnic in the park. It's fun being in town the same time as 10-12 friendly faces, as you wind up bumping into each other all over. 
  • Lassen Volcanic National Park - specifically Butte Lake Campground. This will be my most primitive camping - no running water, vault toilet, and it was impacted by the Dixie Fire last year. But I'm hoping I can paddle and hike. I'll also finally (belatedly!) get my National Parks passport and will start collecting stamps. 
  • Del Norte Redwoods State Park - camping in the Mill Creek campground be sure to scroll down that page to the audio files and listen to the birds! 

Weather watch as of early June; hopefully it'll get a bit warmer before I go! 


Then in July I'm going to RI and TX to see family. I'm hoping for some good beach time in Rhode Island, and in Texas I expect to dash from the air conditioned house & car to the neighborhood pool, and back again. 


In August I've got a one-way ticket to Canada - don't worry, I'm coming back! It'll be a month or six weeks, tops. I'll spend time with my best friend and her wife and friends in Toronto; in northern Ontario on a lake; and will hopefully get to visit Montreal and/or Quebec City. Current weather looks okay, but it will likely be quite a bit warmer and muggier by August! 


And then..... Africa in October. I'm going to Kenya (on the east coast) for a safari and a few beach days, and then I'll go to Senegal (on the west coast) to see friends stationed there through the state department. 


Then what? Right now the winter is unplanned (except for Christmas with family). I might go to Europe after Africa; or I might come home for a bit; or I might go someplace warm. We'll see. 

Last set of plans at the moment: 

Thailand in late Jan/mid-Feb, and then Mexico - kayaking off the Baja Peninsula - in late Feb. I will probably extend my trip to spend more time in Mexico, but it's a smidge too soon to know for sure. Plus at some point I'm going to be broke and ready to re-engage my brain in some kind of work-like situation. 

It's so fun to plan adventure! I just hope it doesn't pass TOO quickly.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

July = Family time

Making plans - technology flavor

Elephant visit